I recently traveled to the beautiful island of Dominican Republic to attend a Wellness Tourism Conference, hosted by The Wellness Tourism Association and the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism. As part of the Wellness Tourism course with the Travel Institute, I was required to attend a Wellness event. I had not been to the D.R. in about 15 years, so it was the perfect opportunity to take a trip back.
There is a real interest in wellness tourism today, since experiencing, and still navigating, a global pandemic. We were emersed in a two-day conference that focused on what consumers are looking for, consumer surveys, how to help create the right wellness experiences, Cannabis for wellness, slowing down the aging process, traveling Post COVID, and the wellness offerings and programs that are available. One of my favorite hightlights was an introduction to Equine Therapy with Unbridled Retreats. (I absolutely love horses!)
I stayed at the Eden Roc Cap Cana Resort, an exclusive luxury resort that offers wonderful wellness programs and outstanding healthy food options. Our room was a beautiful ocean front, literally just a few feet away from dipping my feet into the water. The room was beautiful, and had all of the amenities you could want. I started my mornings enjoying sunrise over the ocean and ended my day listening to the waves at night. Normally, I wouldn't stay at such a high-end property, but you know what; we should have that experience from time to time. I am so glad that I did, I will do it again, and I encourage you to treat yourself to some luxury!
We also inspected the Melia Punta Cana, an All-Inclusive, Adults-only, Wellness Resort. The property is absolutely beautiful, with excellent wellness programs and activities. I plan to stay there on my next visit to Dominican Republic.
A few of my take aways from the Wellness Conference
1. Make Self Care a priority, not just for yourself, but for your loved ones.
2. Travelers want more in a vacation, and are looking for expert advice on how to create a wellness package that fits their needs.
3. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and networking with a group of great people who are committed to helping their clients see the value in incorporating wellness in their travel.
4. Clients should contact a travel advisor that has the tools, resources and connections and can make professional recommendations for their wellness travel.
5. Kudos to the Wellness Tourism Association and the Domincan Republic Ministry of Tourism for a job well done!
For more information on Wellness travel visit my Wellness Travel Page
Share the knowledge